Finding a property that's perfect for your needs isn't always easy, that's why we're here to help.

Being well established in the South Lakeland and North Lancashire region, Turner Scott have the local expertise to help you realise your dreams and find the perfect home for you, whatever your circumstances.

Whether you are looking for a short or long-term let, in a town or village location or truly rural setting, we always have a range of quality properties within reach. We talk about our high quality of service for landlords, but our reputation and recommendations mean that we are attracting new rental property all the time.


Private landlords in the UK are completely unregulated and therefore don't need to be part of a professional body or association - anyone who owns a property can offer it for rent with little or no regulation to protect the interests of the tenant. Renting a residential property through a professional lettings agent offers greater peace of mind and security. You will pay NO fees to let through an agency.


To comply with the Immigration Act 2014, all applicants must provide proof of their permission to reside in the UK. The identification you will be asked to provide must meet the requirements of the Immigration Act 2014. You must present your original ID in person to our office before you application can proceed.


As letting agents we require references for all tenancies. For this we use a referencing company called UK Tenant Data.

The referencing company will assess the following areas;

Next of kin



Right to Rent

A credit report

Our referencing agency requires tenants to earn 30 x 1 month’s rent between them to rent a property.

We ask you to disclose any adverse information such as CCJs and credit defaults. Non-disclosure may prejudice your application.


Under certain circumstances a Guarantor may be required. They must be able to provide a satisfactory financial reference themselves, and be prepared to sign the Tenancy Agreement.

A Guarantor will be required if:

  • You are employed on a temporary contract or via a recruitment agency
  • Your contract of employment expires prior to the end of the tenancy
  • You are self employed, have been trading less than 12 months therefore can not provide proof of income
  • Your income does not meet the referencing criteria of 30 x 1 month's rent

Sometimes payment of rent in advance can be an allternative to a guarantor, but this will be by prior agreement with the landlord.


A holding deposit equivalent to one weeks’ rent will be payable to reserve the property, this deposit must be paid before any references are sought. You will sign an agreement to lease, this is an agreement to set up a tenancy from a future date. On commencement of your tenancy the holding deposit paid will be transferred to the tenancy deposit balance.


You pay rent on a monthly basis on the same date as your tenancy commenced for the full term of the Agreement. A tenancy deposit will be required which is usually equivalent to five weeks rent; this will be protected by The Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS) in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of The DPS. The Terms and Conditions and ADR Rules governing the protection of the deposit including the repayment process can be found at Before the tenancy commences, we shall require one month’s rent, the deposit in cleared funds, i.e. by debit card or online banking transfer. We cannot release the keys to you without these cleared funds.


You will be responsible for the payment of Council Tax, water, energy and all other service charges applicable throughout the term of the tenancy. Initial and Final meter readings are your responsibility and should be given to the suppliers at the beginning and end of the tenancy. You also need to inform the local authority when you move in and when you move out. We do not become involved in the resolution of disputes with these suppliers. We do not arrange for the redirection of mail and any mail received after your departure will be returned to sender.


We are not involved in the registration of any of the services listed in this section. As a Tenant, you are responsible for any installation costs incurred when taking up these services, subject to prior consent from your landlord.


We ask you to arrange contents insurance for the duration of your tenancy. This provides cover for accidental damage to Landlord’s contents and fixtures and provides cover for your own possessions in the home.